Whether you’re a thirsty celiac, gluten-free curious, or just a really awesome host with gluten-challenged buds, this lists’s for you. Our in-house celiac, Chef Archie, has been sipping away at gluten-free suds for years, honing her list of favorites. Here are her top picks for celebrating independence (from gluten).
* Colorado Cider Company: Glider Cider – Crisp and refreshing. Light, bubbly, and relatively dry. I’d pair this versatile cider with anything from a heavy bratwurst to light fish tacos. I love their Pearsnickety cider too—it would be amazing with a pear salad!
* Omission Beer: Omission IPA – Very robust flavors with heavy grapefruit. I’d want really bold flavors to stand up against this beer. I could see this going well with Indian dishes.
* Brunehaut Brewery: Brunehaut Amber – Nice, caramelized flavor—definitely taste the hops here. This one’s on the heavy side. It would go great with a pork chop and a spinach-romaine salad with matchstick green apples. The bright crisp of the apples would complement this dark amber ale.
* J. K.’s Scrumpy Hard Cider: Orchard Gate Gold – This is one of my favorites! Well balanced and very refreshing. Bright and crisp! Made with nothing but apples and yeast, so it’s very apple-forward and on the sweeter side. I could drink a lot of this on a hot day with most anything—burgers, chicken, or salmon salad.
* Green’s: Dubbel Dark Ale – I found this one surprisingly tasty for a dark beer. Made with millet, buckwheat, rice, and sorghum, it’s got a great toffee notes. I would love pairing this with a fall-flavored dish like spicy sausage, a charcuterie plate, or a German brat with sauerkraut and mustard.
Image: Colorado Cider Company