36 In Green Chef News/ Thinking Green

Hey Jute: A Greener Insulation.

We’re excited to announce an update to our packaging: a transition to revolutionarily eco-friendly jute insulation.

What’s jute? It’s a renewable plant fiber that comes from Asia’s jute plant. Our new insulation is made from 100% recycled jute, derived from burlap sacks used to transport coffee and cocoa beans.

The insulation’s plastic wrapper is 100% recycled, and can be recycled wherever #4 plastics are accepted. The jute itself is completely compostable. Got a yard? You can compost your jute at home and use it in your garden! Here’s how:

1. Make sure you’ve removed the jute’s plastic sleeve.
  2. Mark a 3-foot (or larger) square on the ground in your yard. Try to choose a place that gets both sun and shade on a typical day.
  3. Dig a hole in the marked area at least 6 inches deep, keeping the dug-up soil handy by the hole. Remove any large stones, roots, or debris from the pit and the stacked soil.
  4. Drop compostable items — like food scraps, garden clippings, coffee grounds, and other fresh organic material — into the center of the pit. Next, add items like dried leaves, chopped twigs, brown organic material, and your jute insulation liner to the pit.
  5. Every two weeks or so, turn the contents of the pit with a pitchfork or shovel, heaping material to the center of the compost pit. Add a shovelful of the set-aside soil to the compost each time you turn it. Use a long, sharp stick to poke holes in the pile, allowing air to reach the compost’s inner layers.
  6. If the pit’s contents become dry in hot weather, keep them damp by sprinkling water on them. Cover the pit with black plastic during any heavy rainfalls to keep it from getting soggy, weighing the edges of the plastic down with heavy bricks or stones.
  7. Once the compost is thoroughly decomposed and crumbly, it’s ready to bring nutrients to your garden! Mix it into soil, or place it around established plants.

Everyone at Green Chef is dedicated to environmental responsibility. We see the change to jute insulation as one important step in an ongoing journey toward a greener future.

If you haven’t given us a try yet, sign up today!

You Might Also Like

36 Comments

Cat
    April 17, 2016 at 5:17 pm

This is very cool. Thank you so much for making the effort to be so Earth-friendly, and for posting this so that we know the best way to compost the packing material!

Katie
    April 22, 2016 at 12:16 pm

This is great news and cuts down on the waste from the boxes. Much appreciated, thank you!

Cheryl Baker
    April 22, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for doing this. It will be great to put in my garden!!!! Ice packs next?

Ron
      May 3, 2016 at 10:41 am

You can mix the jelly inside the ice packs with potting soil for hanging plants. Way less watering needed.

Ethel Parente
    April 22, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Can I just use it around plants like mulch?

Lucy Frost
      May 7, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I’m wondering the same thing. Seems ideal for that… ?

Tricia
      May 15, 2016 at 1:15 pm

I wondered the same thing. I may give it a try.

Dear people at Green Chef, Please let us know if the jute can be used like mulch out in the garden. Or maybe even indoors around big houseplants?

JILL
      May 25, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Yes you can use it around established plants.

lina
    April 22, 2016 at 12:35 pm

wonderful…thanks so much for caring ….

Kathleen
    April 22, 2016 at 1:23 pm

You guys are awesome! So conscientious about the safety and health of our earth. Always improving. Very inspiring and very much appreciated. And we so totally LOVE YOUR FOOD!! 🙂

Jill
    April 22, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Great news! Thank you for sharing, and caring!

KymEsco
    April 23, 2016 at 9:11 am

This is great, but I don’t have a yard big enough to accommodate more than a few 3-foot compost areas. Would you consider shipping the food to us in reusable boxes that we can send back with the jute liner and ice packs? Now that would would cut down what goes in the trash/recycling bins!

Ingrid Powell
      May 5, 2016 at 9:28 am

I would love this as well! Please!

Donell
      May 9, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Excellent idea! If be up for this. I almost csncelled my service bc I was getting too inundated with boxes, ice packs, bags and bottles. Sure, they’re recyclable, but that should be their Last stop….they are REUSABLE!

KatieMay
      May 10, 2016 at 8:14 pm

If your city picks up yard waste you can include it with that, minus the plastic.

Tracy
      May 20, 2016 at 2:19 pm

this is the same thought i had! that’d be wonderful!

JESSLYNN
    April 24, 2016 at 1:50 pm

So cool! I’m excited to start using this in my garden. 🙂

Helen
    April 28, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I loved my first box but was hesitant to sign up because of all the waste. Love the jute, but we’re renting and that’s not going to work for us. Would a reusable coolbox work? One that gets sent back when the next shipment arrives? I, for one, would be happy to pay a deposit for that!
    In the meantime, my daughter was confirmed with Celiac Disease. Loving the gluten free, no need to think, meals 3x a week!
    Good job!

Kellie Rarick
    April 29, 2016 at 9:17 am

Love the change! Thank you for thinking about our planet and working on becoming greener.
    I give the plastic containers to art rooms in schools as well I use them in my shop. They are wonderful for making art projects as well. The Ice Packs I list out on buy sell trade free sites on Facebook as FREE for sports teams as well as hunters, travel, vacations! That has worked.
    I would also suggest maybe if we put the ice packs back out for collection when our box is delivered they could be reused. There may be a restriction but boy that would save you money!
    The boxes I love and anytime I see someone asking for moving boxes I donate. They are wonderful for packing dishes, and books etc….
    The padding I was getting has been used for shipping out my products beautiful fine handmade writing pens from exotic woods and acrylics.
    I just love GREEN CHEF! The food is just amazing and you guys are working so hard to satisfy your customer. Thank You!
    Kellie

Ingrid Powell
      May 5, 2016 at 9:28 am

Thanks for these tips!

Paula Grabowski
    April 29, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I will say that it does look eco-friendly. Props for that. It doesn’t work as well, though. In the past, I’ve missed a delivery and got it the next day which means it was boxed for an extra day. We are in Texas – so summer heat is a question. With the other material, the meat was still frozen (practically) on the extra day. We felt comfortable consuming. But I opened my timely box today at lunch. And it wasn’t as cold. The meat especially. I may not get to future boxes until 6pm – not at lunchtime. I don’t know if I would trust the meat with the Jute waiting all day in the Texas heat. Plus, there isn’t enough of it. The padding wasn’t completely covered. It had a like an opening at top instead of being covered all the way over like the previous material was. The ice packs were less solid as well.

Jennifer
    April 30, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Just tossed our Jute in the compost bin. Great move, GreenChef!

Madeleine Prendergast
    May 3, 2016 at 10:28 am

I am delighted by the jute! I’m not a “Save the Planet” kind of person, but I did feel badly about simply recycling all that beautiful packing material.

After a year of Green Chef (!), I’ll have enough jute to completely mulch the flower beds at my Mom’s assisted living. I bet the jute will keep weeds down and let moisture through as well as 3″ of grass clippings.

I regret that it may not be working as well for customer in broiling climates, like Texas.

The ice packs can be donated to your local red cross (see elsewhere on the Green Chef site).

Rock on, Green Chef!

Lisa
    May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Super excited to add this to my very new but already working compost pile! Is jute considered a green or a brown in composting terms?

Thanks!

Allison Kennedy
    May 5, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Cool. What should I do with Jute if I don’t have the option to compost? Is there a recycling option? Will it decompose if I have to dispose of it with the normal trash? Thanks.

Cynthia
    May 10, 2016 at 9:55 am

what should the New Yorkers with apartments and no yards do with all the jute?

Linda
    May 15, 2016 at 12:20 pm

As a landscaper, in making hanging baskets…this jute is PERFECT! Thank you! Now for a quick resolution to the ice packs! I can get rid of only so many! If we send them back when we get our next shipment and can receive a credit….maybe??!!

Dalhia Schuette
    May 15, 2016 at 10:23 pm

love the jute idea, is there a way you could now figure out what to do with the ice packs…i feel so wasteful it really makes me feel like i’m not doing my part to recycle and cut down on the “waste”

i would HAPPY to pay a little more each week to resend you the book it came in, the jute and my ice packs…

pls advise!
    thanks so much!

Dalhia Schuette
    May 15, 2016 at 10:24 pm

i would HAPPILY to pay a little more each week to resend you the box it came in, the jute and my ice packs…

pls advise!
    thanks so much!

Viv
    May 17, 2016 at 9:21 am

I live in a condo in the city (no yard), and would really love it if you would just offer a reusable packaging option.

Jen
    May 17, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I appreciate the compostable jute, but what about all the plastic? WOW – a lemon in its own plastic bag? That is ridiculous. You should look at the ways some of your competitors package their meals – much less packaging, but unfortunately not organic. If only there was a way to combine a few of you!!!

Kathy
    May 19, 2016 at 10:34 am

I don’t have anywhere to be able to use the jute as compost. What else can be done with them? or how can it be recycled? I really love the idea that several others had about sending the box with the packing materials back to be reused. This worked very well with the company that I get my dog’s raw meat from. Just save the box and put it out the next week for the delivery person to grab with they drop off the next shipment.

Jessica Craven
    May 19, 2016 at 10:40 am

I am looking for the contents of the ice packs. I know they are “water soluble,” but does that really mean they are safe to put down the drain? I am happy about the jute, by the way, but agree with others that the ice packs are a concern. Hard to give that many away. Wish we could ship them back–I know Blue Apron offers that service.

Otherwise I LOVE Green Chef!!!!

Suzanne
    May 20, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Love the jute. It kept eveything very cold and I’m going to recycle it.

Kathy Ostman-Magnusen
    May 27, 2016 at 10:55 am

I LOVE it!

Donna
    May 30, 2016 at 9:55 am

I just reused my jute as a plant liner for my window boxes. The coconut coir was eaten by the squirrels.. 🙁

Thank you for this. It may not last as long as the coconut coir did but it should be good for one season. I’ll let you know how it works out.