Nothing says the holiday season quite like hearty foods and hot drinks. But we asked ourselves: Is there more to warm after-dinner drinks than mulled wine and hot toddies? And can we find an excuse to drink cocktails as “research” for the blog? Turns out, the answer is yes!
Join us as we brew up (and drink up) a hot cranberry punch with sage and rainbow peppercorns, the perfect ending to your next Green Chef dinner.
This warm drink starts out sweet and slightly tart, with fresh cranberries simmered in honeyed Riesling. We chose Kung Fu Girl Riesling for its fun name; this wine tastes as delightful as it sounds, with stone fruit flavors and a crisp, minerally finish.
To balance the sweetness, rainbow peppercorns add a bite of spice. Fresh sage and Benedictine liqueur complete this cocktail with herbal, aromatic notes kissed by citrus undertones.
Serve this stunning drink in glassware to show off its bright garnet color. It’ll warm your hands and your spirits as you sip into the evening.
Warm Merry Cranberry Punch
with peppercorns and sage
Adapted from a recipe by Maria del Mar Sacasa, author of Winter Cocktails
2 teaspoons rainbow peppercorns
2 cups fresh organic cranberries
1/4 cup organic honey
1 750-ml bottle Riesling, divided
1/4 cup fresh organic sage leaves
1 cup Benedictine liqueur
1. Place peppercorns in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until fragrant and slightly toasted (about 2 minutes).
2. Add cranberries, honey, and 1 cup Riesling to saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture becomes syrupy (about 7 minutes).
3. Roughly mash cranberries with a fork.
4. Add sage and remaining wine, then simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Strain mixture through a fine strainer. Smash cranberries while straining (be sure to catch cranberry seeds and pulp). Discard strained solids.
6. Return strained liquid to saucepan. Add Benedictine liqueur and warm over low heat until steaming.
7. Serve in heat-friendly glassware or mugs.
8. Garnish as desired with sage leaves or whole cranberries. Enjoy!
Stayed tuned for more holiday cocktail inspiration in the coming weeks. Eat, drink, drink some more, and be merry!
· · ·
Green Chef makes dinner simply delicious. Our meal kits deliver organic, pre-measured ingredients and easy-to-master recipes, with vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, and family options. Sign up today.