Even after the heartiest meal, there’s always room for a dessert cocktail. Especially if that cocktail is creamy, chocolatey, boozy hot cocoa. (Give me a moment to wipe the drool off my keyboard.)
Our vegan hot cocoa starts with cinnamon steeped in luscious coconut milk, giving this traditional wintertime drink surprising summery notes. Chocolate and cocoa powder join the mix for rich flavor and velvety-smooth texture, almost like European drinking chocolate.
Dark rum finishes the cocoa with a kick of spice. I chose The Kraken Rum for its burnt caramel color and flavor notes. Or you can skip the rum to create a cocoa concoction for the whole family to enjoy.
Vegan Hot Cocoa-nut
(2) 13.5-ounce cans organic light coconut milk
1 organic cinnamon stick
4-6 ounces organic vegan chocolate (or preferred chocolate)
½ teaspoon organic cocoa powder
2 ounces dark spiced rum (or more, wink wink!)
2½-3 tablespoons all-natural or turbinado sugar (optional)
- Place cinnamon stick in a large saucepan. Add coconut milk to saucepan and warm over medium heat until steaming.
- Place chocolate in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Strain warmed coconut milk over chocolate. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Return coconut milk and chocolate mixture to saucepan.
- Whisk cocoa powder into mixture until smooth and combined. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add rum; stir.
- Add sugar to taste (optional).
- Pour hot cocoa into your favorite cappuccino or coffee mug. Serve and enjoy!
Extra touches to try (or don’t, I’m not the boss of you):
- Top the cocoa with a dollop of vegan whipped cream or fluffy vegan marshmallows. Crown it all with a pinch of turbinado sugar.
- Toast that marshmallow! Use a crème brûlée torch for a perfectly crisp outside and gooey inside.
This decadent drink was crafted by our own chefexpert Walter James. Cocoa is always at the top of Walter’s seasonal shopping list, so he was instantly inspired to create a hot chocolate cocktail. When not whipping up delicious recipes, Walter can be found line dancing, shooting pool, or making plans to build another saltwater aquarium.
Stayed tuned for our final holiday cocktail. In the meantime: Eat, drink, drink some more, and be merry!
· · ·
Green Chef makes dinner simply delicious. Our meal kits deliver organic, pre-measured ingredients and easy-to-master recipes, with vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, and family options. Sign up today.