First, the elephant in the room: Can cocktails even be paleo? The short answer is no. Alcohol is generally not considered paleo because it’s both processed and a toxin. But if you’re flexible (the holidays are a time to indulge, after all), we have a kinda-sorta paleo tipple just for you.
Of all the alcoholic beverages, hard cider is the closest to being paleo-friendly. This fermented apple drink is naturally grain- and gluten-free, and it’s naturally sweet.
But apple cider all on its own does not a cocktail make. So, it’s time to get a sangria going! This hard cider sangria starts dry, crisp, and fizzy, then finishes with bursts of apple and citrus flavor. Hibiscus syrup infuses the drink with tart-sweet notes and a beautiful honeyed, ruby tone.
Serve over ice, then garnish with a slice of orange for a festive sip on a cold night. Move over, wintry warm apple cider.
Paleo-ish Hibiscus Cider Sangria
Adapted from a recipe by Bon Appétit
(1) 6-pack organic hard apple cider (go for a dry, low-sugar cider)
1 organic Piñata apple, thinly sliced (Pink Lady or Jonagold works too)
1 organic navel orange, thinly sliced, divided use
1 cup water
3 tbsp organic honey
¼ cup organic hibiscus flowers
1 organic cinnamon stick
¾ cup Calvados apple brandy (optional; it’s not very paleo, but it is very tasty)
1. Bring water to a boil in a small pot.
2. Stir in honey until dissolved, then stir in cinnamon stick and hibiscus flowers.
3. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Strain hibiscus syrup. Discard flowers and cinnamon stick.
5. Pour cider into a large pitcher.
6. Add apple slices and orange slices (save some for garnish).
7. Pour in hibiscus syrup and Calvados. Stir to combine.
8. Serve chilled or over ice and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
Any Green Chef dinner will pair wonderfully with this seasonal sangria. Cheers to a happy, hearty holiday.
· · ·
Green Chef makes dinner simply delicious. Our meal kits deliver organic, pre-measured ingredients and easy-to-master recipes, with vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, and family options. Sign up today.