Dear Brussels Sprouts,
We are sorry. We are sorry for neglecting you when we were kids, for making faces when you appeared on our plates, and for dousing you with run of the muck condiments. We are sorry for childishly treating you as the most hated vegetable.
If only we’d known how much we would love you as adults, maybe we would’ve given you chance. But alas, we did not.
To make up for our past mistakes, we want to feature you in our first monthly side recipe series. We hope you forgive us and learn to love us as much as we love you.
Without further ado, here is our ode to you, Brussels Sprouts.
Tools You’ll Need
- knife & cutting board
- slotted cooking spoon
- large sauté pan
- liquid measuring cup
- 9 oz Brussels sprouts
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Bacon
- 2 1/2 Tbs Pecans
- 6 Tbs Shallot
COOK BACON & PECANS
- Medium dice bacon into about ½-inch pieces.
- Place bacon in a dry medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pecans. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until pecans are toasted and bacon is crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer bacon and pecans to a paper towel (keep bacon fat in pan).
PREP BRUSSELS SPROUTS & SHALLOT
- Cut ends off Brussels sprouts. Lay flat and cut into about ¼-inch thick slices.
- Cut ends off shallot and remove peel. Halve lengthwise. Lay flat and cut lengthwise into about ¼-inch thick strips.
START BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Return pan with bacon fat to stovetop over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts and shallot to hot pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 7-10 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
FINISH BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Add about ¼ cup water to pan with Brussels sprouts. Stir. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until water cooks off and veggies are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Return bacon and pecans to pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Serve alongside Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Cajun Blackened Cod or your favorite main dish. Enjoy!