Our parsnip fries are so good they often don’t make it to the table. Consider doubling the recipe, so some fries actually find their way from the baking sheet to your plate! The slight sweetness in this root-vegetable helps elevate an American classic.
Swapping parsnips for traditional potatoes adds five grams more of fiber and creates a side dish you’ll want to make time and time again. Once you add our Bahārāt Spice Blend, you’ll have a new favorite recipe.
- 2 whole parsnips (¼ to ⅓ pound)
- 1 ½ tbsp cooking oil, we suggest a neutral high-heat oil, like canola oil
- 1 ½ tsp Bahārāt Spice Blend
- Fine sea salt (to taste)
Bahārāt Spice Blend Ingredients
- ¾ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch ground clove
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make Spice Blend: Place all the spices in a small bowl or ramekin. Stir to combine.
- Cut Parsnips: Trim tops off parsnips and peel. Cut widthwise into about 3-inch long pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into about ½-inch thick fries.
- Season Parsnips: Place parsnips in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil. Season with 1½ teaspoons of the Bahārāt Spice Blend. Mix to coat evenly.
- Roast Parsnips: Spread parsnips out in a single layer on a lightly oiled foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 20-25 minutes, or until parsnips are browned and crisp, flipping halfway through.
Ready to start fresh and eat better after the holidays? Green Chef delivers gourmet meal kits bursting with organic ingredients. Sign up today for your first box!