12 In Recycling/ Thinking Green

Green Chef How To: Recycle Your Green Chef Packaging

At Green Chef, we are committed to sustainable business practices. That commitment starts with our name and carries through everything we do. Green Chef is continuously innovating to provide the most eco-friendly packaging that also protects the quality and safety of your food. The sustainability of our packaging has progressed leaps and bounds since we first opened. And we’ll continue to evolve our packaging as new solutions become available.

We know that, at times, the task of recycling each piece of packaging in your delicious delivery can be daunting! Our beloved director of sustainability, Jeff Yorzyk, is here to help guide us through the process of properly recycling each item found your Green Chef box.

You can also print out the helpful recycling guide below and put it on your fridge for easy reference.

Stay tuned for more packaging innovations heading your way!

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

Annie
    April 20, 2018 at 8:06 am

Great post – thank you!

Val M
    April 20, 2018 at 8:46 am

Good Day, Thank you for these tips and for using mostly recyclable materials for packaging. My problem is that I do not have curbside pickup of recycling or a drop off location near me! What do you suggest I do?
    Also, I was wondering what the ice pack gel materials consist of and if that part is compostable? I know of another service that does use compostable stuff for inside the ice packs.

Madison
      April 20, 2018 at 9:38 am

Hi Val,
      The Ice Packs are made of 99% salt and water and 1% sodium polyacrylate. They are non-toxic and reusable!

You can dispose of them by draining the gel into the trash and then recycling the shell anywhere that accepts #4 plastics. You can also donate them locally to a Local Food Bank, Meals on Wheels, or Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts of America.

If you send an email with your zip code to help@greenchef.com, we will look up a recycling facility near you that accepts all of the materials.

Sheppo Surreal
        April 21, 2018 at 2:48 pm

I’ve been draining the ice packs into a flower bed of mine that’s mostly english ivy. The plants there are as robust as ever. I hope doing this isn’t an environmental hazard.

Madison
          April 23, 2018 at 7:59 am

Hi, we recommend emptying the contents of the ice packs into the trash and then recycling the outer shell. That is the safest way to dispose of the ice packs.

Maria
    April 20, 2018 at 9:28 am

Has Green Chef considered a program, that allows customers to mail back certain items like ice packs and insulation material that could be easily reused for future orders? As a customer, I would love and even pay extra for a service where I can just put as much of the packaging back into a box, stick a pre-paid mailing label on a it, and mail it back to Green Chef to either reuse or recycle properly.

Madison
      April 20, 2018 at 9:39 am

Hi Maria,

We are always looking for the most sustainable packaging options. We have passed along your suggestion to the Sustainability Team, and we will let you know if this ever becomes an option!

Stacey Morgan
      April 21, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I love this idea!

Kristi Elston
      May 15, 2018 at 5:48 am

I’ve thought this same thing, only was thinking rather than shipping them back, why not be able to pack every recyclable back into the original box and have the person dropping off the next order pick them up and take them right back to where they are packaged. I have huge guilt every time I receive a package and see all of that plastic.

Sue Wilson Cordle
    April 20, 2018 at 10:56 am

Can you talk about the Big soft bag the items come in?

Madison
      April 23, 2018 at 7:54 am

Hi Sue, the outer liner is made of #4 plastic film. The insulation is 100% plant-based and made out of jute and recycled materials. Jute is a rapidly renewable plant material sourced from recycled burlap bags. To dispose of it, remove the outer plastic liner and recycle it wherever #4 plastic film is accepted. Then, drop off the jute insulation at your nearest municipal composting facility.

Carolyn
    April 21, 2018 at 11:18 am

Recycling Episodes 1 and 2 — Super helpful! Answered questions I had about the packaging and now I have the knowledge to recycle the components properly. Thank you!