Searching for a superb start-of-summer drink to help you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? You’re in luck! A batch of these Blood Orange Margaritas are sure to take your fiesta to the next level. This show-stopping libation is not only delicious, but it’s paleo-friendly, too! Homemade ginger-thyme syrup, tequila, a touch of freshly squeezed blood orange juice, and a dash of sweetness make this margarita the perfect holiday cocktail.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 piece of ginger, about 2 inches long
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1-2 teaspoons agave
- 1 tablespoon water
- Zest from 1 lime, minced
- Zest from 1 blood orange, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons coarse salt
BLOOD ORANGE MARGARITA:
- 8 oz. silver tequila
- 12 oz. fresh blood orange juice
- 4 oz. ginger-thyme syrup
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- Ice cubes
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 blood orange twists
MAKE GINGER-THYME SYRUP:
- Peel ginger. Cut into about ½-inch thick pieces.
- Place water and coconut sugar in a small pot. Bring to a boil, whisking often.
- Add ginger and whole thyme sprigs. Stir. Return to a boil, then remove pot from heat. Set aside and let sit for 30 minutes
- Strain syrup. Discard ginger and thyme sprigs.
GET YOUR GLASSES READY:
- Whisk together agave and water in a shallow bowl.
- Zest 1 whole lime and 1 whole blood orange. Roughly chop zest together.
- Combine zest and coarse salt in a second shallow bowl.
- Dip the rim of a margarita glass in agave & water mix, letting excess drip off, then dip the rim into the zest and salt mixture. Set aside. Repeat with remaining glasses.
MAKE THE BLOOD ORANGE MARGARITA:
- Place silver tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, 4 oz ginger-thyme syrup, and 3-4 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Secure lid on top of shaker and shake for 10-20 seconds.
- Add fresh ice to rimmed glasses. Strain margarita mixture over glasses.
GARNISH YOUR GLASSES:
- Peel off a 2” twist from your orange using the channel knife on the zester. Stash the twist in the freezer to help it set up.
- If you don’t have a channel knife: Use a peeler to remove 4 small strips of zest, avoiding the white pith.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and orange twists.